Preventing Miscarriages BEFORE Pregnancy
The BEST way to prevent miscarriages is by holistic preconception care. In Ayurveda we promote fertility and healthy pregnancy by first supporting :
- regular, comfortable menstrual cycles
- general good health
- balanced lifestyle, including appropriate exercise
- healthy downward energies – shown by menstrual, bladder and bowel health
- overcoming vaginal infections
- having balanced energies in the body – in Ayurveda this means Vata, Pitta, and Kapha that suit YOUR constitution
Ayurveda does this with individualized care plans, utilizing food choice, eating habits, herbs, treatments, and energy point therapy (marma). For specifics see this class. Learn Ayurveda basics here.
Preventing Miscarriages DURING Pregnancy
Once you are pregnant it becomes trickier to work with long-standing problems because supporting the pregnancy becomes the focus. Some herbs and therapies may be too stimulating for the uterus at this time. There are still many gentle things to do to support a pregnancy to term.
Miscarriage happens in 10-20% of known pregnancies. There are also episodes of spotting that some women experience that are not building into a full-blown miscarriage. A majority of miscarriages happen when there is a mistake in the development of the wee one. In Ayurveda, this is related to an energy imbalance in Vata, which rules the energies in the pelvic area of the body.
Women are more vulnerable to miscarriage at the times when they would usually have a menstrual period. Also, if you have any cramping or bleeding you may want to take some prevention steps. Western Medicine has little to stop with this. Consulting a Certified Ayurveda Practitioner (like myself ) or Ayurvedic Doctor can help you balance your energies. First trimester is often a Vata / apana problem, while later it is often a Pitta problem.
Helpful Self Care
Here are some self care helps until you get to see her or him:
- Rescue Remedy flower essence can help you through the emotional aspects of this threat.
- Pelvic rest. Avoid problem constipation, bumpy activities, orgasms.
- Energy point to balance your downward energy: massage the area in the middle of your pubic bone with pure essential oil of rose, ylang ylang, patchouli or lavender, properly diluted.
- WELCOME WOMB tincture by WishGarden Herbs has helped clients for decades. Follow the recommended directions or get help from your health practitioner.
- Talk with the spirit of the baby. This may soothe you, and may give you more information about anything the baby needs to make it easier for her/him to stay.
Pregnancy can be a time of joyful anticipation. Take the help of Ayurveda to support that journey!