Terra Rafael, WiseWomanhood School Founder, Practitioner, & Teacher
Forty years before WiseWomanhood School began, Terra Rafael began with feminism & Big Mama Rag newspaper. She went on to become a home birth midwife for about fifteen years. Then she studied Ayurveda and became a Certified Ayurvedic Practitioner. She learned about Maya healing from Belize and was certified as a Maya Abdominal Therapist. Terra has taught many women’s health and Ayurveda classes, including classes for beginning midwifery education. Terra now practices Shamanism along with her Ayurveda and Women’s Health Practice in Grand Junction, Colorado. She teaches Women’s Health with Ayurveda at Yoga Veda Institute and Ayurved Sadhana as well as through this website.
This school fulfills a vision of hers for supporting women in the internet age. It offers teachings she’s learned over the many years with many different teachers and projects.
Terra’s Education and Training
I am a healing artist & teacher, not a physician, and will refer you when appropriate. Ayurveda is not licensed in any state. I practice legally under the Colorado Natural Health Care Consumers Act. I am recognized as a practitioner by the National Ayurvedic Medicine Association; as a Professional Maya Abdominal Therapist by the Arvigo Institute. I have spent a decade exploring shamanism.
- Certified Ayurvedic Practitioner: Alandi Ayurvedic School, graduated 19 May, 2001, see www.alandiashram.org (>100 semester credits) Training includes herbs, diet, marma therapy, flower essences, cleansing, mantra, yoga, & meditation techniques ; advanced classes on women’s health with Ayurveda. Certified by the National Ayurvedic Medicine Association, www.ayurvedanama.org
- Shamanic Practitioner: has been exploring shamanism spontaneously for decades. During the last 7 years she’s practiced more consciously with mentor, Jyoti Wind. And since COVID, Terra took classes with Sandra Ingerman, Alberto Villaldo, Itzhak Beery, and Hank Wesselman (nine months weekly).She is now studying regularly with Paul Francis at the Three Ravens College via zoom classes. Paul offers many resources free, as well as classes.
- Reiki Master: Level I, Apr.10,1994 & Level II, Sept.27, 1994 Master
- Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy™-certified professional therapist, practicing since Fall 2002; weeklong training in Belize on Maya Spiritual Healing; Also :Apprenticeship with Miss Beatrice Waight, Mayan traditional healer, midwife & shaman learning Maya spiritual healing, abdominal therapies & herbal techniques, focusing on women’s health, completed March 2003
- Reflexology : two day workshop with Margot Hawk, Dec 26, & 27, 2005, training w Miss Beatrice, & ongoing experience.
- Retired Registered Midwife: Stateof Colorado. More than 250 births experience over 15 yrs practice
- Flower essences: ongoing self study & workshops & classes since 1980, including extensive work during Ayurveda training.
- Therapeutic Shamanism: I have been studying & practicing shamanic healing with Jyoti Wind & my healing Guides since 2013. Now offering and attending shamanic study groups and healing circles. Workshops with Sandra Ingerman, Alberto Villaldo, and Itzak Beery. 9 monthlong weekly study with Hank Wesselman.
- BA, Psychology: Moorhead State University, Moorhead, MN, 1975.